Thursday 20 November 2014

Hunga Island

So I am in this tiny little plywood boat with a 15 horse Yamaha in the middle of the ocean and no life jacket. If it were not fit the fact that Omani is sleeping on the roof and the driver looks extremely bored I think I might be panicking.  The waters are not exactly smooth and the ocean is HUGE!


The property at Cocomo Village is one hell of a view. Clear out some of the bush and we can even get a good breeze. The land slopes about 20 degrees from the cliff to the road but nothing we cannot handle.  The issue right now is getting the road built so that vehicles can move around.  And they desperately need a stump grinder. Onani said that it will only take about 2 weeks to finish the road but I imagine that is 2 weeks after to next round of taxes come in. And now we r watching a baby shark swim around. I am not sure what kind of shark but I have been told that there are no killer sharks in the area.


Apparently there r no fruit trees on the property but u can find them across the road. They also grow vanilla and tapioca here as well. I have asked Onani to clear the brush and bramble off the properties but leave the trees. He will also let me know when the road is ready as I am not making that climb again. I AM POOPED!

Sorry we have a couple of bread fruit trees. I think that once the road is built and the brush is cleared we should be able to build without much difficulty.  Let's just see how long that will take

I just drank from my first coconut and I am sure it will not be the last. Unfortunately as I am the token white woman on this hike the 3 Tongan men laughed at me when I spilt half of it down my top. We r currently waiting for the truck to come back and get us as I do not want to walk back to town.

Well that was interesting.  Same of the lovely sun dappled "roads" look to be little more then dry river beds but the driver on Hunga Island expertly navigated the way through. We r now taking the boat to see the sea breeze side as I huddle under the canopy to nurse my sunburn.  Note to self... make sure to wear sunblock next time


No comments:

Post a Comment