Saturday 4 October 2014

Back on Track

Hello All,

I know that it has been quite a while since my last post but we are back on track and the move is going forward again.

So I picked up my ticket to Tonga today as well as our criminal record checks.  My husband, Barry, and I went to the doctor on Tuesday to get our health certificates and we will be getting our passport photos required for the Business Visa on Monday.  With this information and a copy of my passport I can email this information with a request for a One Way Ticket letter to Tongan Immigration and then I can legally land in Tonga with a one way ticket and it will also waive the on-shore visa fee as I cannot complete the Visa application before I get to Tonga.

Now, with that said, the plan is that I will go to Vava'u first to find a place to live and determine what, if anything, will need to be shipped so that we can build our house in Cocomo Village.  We will also be opening a business in Neifu first to generate cashflow until we decide where we want to build our next business.  As we are not rich people we will need to start business building right away but I do not think this will be a problem.  I can offer my accounting skills to current businesses on the island and I think we are going to buy/build a cafe in Neifu to start.

After we get a better idea of the types and availability of building materials we will start to build our house in Cocomo Village.

Oh Ya!  My father, Ralph, went to Vava'u in early August and met the Governor and went to visit the property that we bought/leased.  So yes the properties do exist!  Yes the road is actually there!  Yes the Governor is excited to see these properties filled with people and houses.

Also, Yes this is densely treed area and the road is overgrown and the walk up to the cliff-side properties is hard on the legs according to Ralph. But the Governor has assured him that the road will be maintained once people start living there and the lots will be cleared as it is confirmed that someone will be arriving.  And as for the climb?  I don't know about you but I plan on having a quad or side by side to make the trip back and forth to the town/wharf.

Business number two will be contracting to build houses in the for the owners/leasees on the currently empty lots as my husband has construction experience.

I will update as things happen but don't be shy to ask any questions you may have and I promise that I will reply from now on.

So don't forget to live your dreams cause life is too short not too!

Char

3 comments:

  1. Hi Char
    Congratulations for making the commitment to 'just go'.
    We are also lease owners of Cocomo Village living in NZ and also visited Vava'u in April this year (2014). We met the young Governor who seems to be a down to earth guy who grew up in Auckland NZ and has an honest ecological vision for his island Hunga. We took a tent (the first Cocomo house!) and camped on our sections for 2 nights and had a good wander around the island. We met and chatted to some lovely people who seem to be open & welcoming to more foreigners moving onto the island. Yes the road is overgrown at the moment but we are in late 50's and didn't find the walk too strenuous to the 'A' sections.
    As you have noticed with the section registration things happen in 'Tonga Time' which is quite an adjustment, but also one of the reasons many of us want to escape to Tonga.
    We plan to visit again in April/May next year & look forward to catching up with you.
    If we can help in any way don't hesitate to ask. regards Wendy & Christoph Schacherer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There!

    It is great to hear from a future neighbour! We are also looking forward to meeting others. Any information that you can provide about what to expect when I get there. The costs of everyday items that I might need or anything that I will need to take with me. For example I was told that there is no real toothpaste there so do I need to stock up on toothpaste?

    Again, any information is appreciated and I am sure other readers will find the information valuable as well.

    Thanks

    Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning all,
    This is Linda again. I will be taking off for Vava'u May 1, 2016. I will be the only person without a wife/husband/partner/significant other. Not sure how I will be received.

    Let me make a query Char. I am coming in hopes to finalize an "assured income visa". I was told that I must get my medical clearance either in Vava'u or Tongatapu. How did you come to understand that you could get that done in Canada? It would much easier for me to get it done here in the US.

    I too operate with hope and agree that many people delay. That's fine really as each individual must be ready.

    Regarding the February 2016 Zika epidemic. Are you using mosquito netting at night and is there DEET containing personal mosquito spray readily available?
    Please respond anyone. Regards, Linda

    ReplyDelete