Tuesday 11 October 2016

Lunch at Ene'io Botanical Gardens

Hey all,

On Sunday I went to Ene'io Botanical Gardens to have lunch at their weekly Tongan Feast.  As I have never been to a Tongan Feast and didn't know what to expect I was a little shy at first but the owners Lucy and Honateli were very open and welcoming.  Honateli is a very jolly man that loves people and loves to laugh. And Lucy is very open and friendly as most Tongans are.

The gardens host a huge variety of plants and trees - many of them you cannot get anywhere else on the island such as Bay Leaves and Allspice.  I am a food person so of course that is what I look for first.  But they also have Aloe and Orchids too.  Honateli will tell you that they have 21 acres of the most beautiful gardens in Tonga.  And I believe him.

The view from the dining area is breathtaking! While sitting on the open deck you look out onto the clear aqua blue water and sandy beach.  The water is calm and perfect for swimming for any age and if you look out in about 100 metres there is the breakwater coral reef that is constantly crashing where is ocean meets the beach.  It is the most amazing landscape that I have seen.  Of course I forgot to take a picture but I have included one from gonewiththebackpack.blogspot.com.




So this is the view that we have while eating fresh whole roasted pig, Taro, baked fish, root fritters with homemade mango chutney, garden salad and fresh seaweed. Please do not forget the array of deserts and other side dishes that I am sure I can't remember right now.  But it is an all you can eat buffet so very much worth the $40TOP price.

The drink special is a rum punch or non alcoholic punch made in a fresh coconut served with a straw (for the drink) and a spoon (to scoop out the coconut). I thought this way a very unique and novel topper to this meal.

The atmosphere is friendly and open as most of the people who go there for Sunday Feast are tourists willing to meet new people, tell of there stories and eager to hear yours. All in all it was a very nice way to spend the day.  I think this might be a new Sunday hangout.



No comments:

Post a Comment